Friday 2 September 2005

And the world rolls on.

First, a small PS to yesterday's moan about retributive justice. Ms. Harman has admitted that she intends that killers should stay longer in prison if relatives of the deceased can persuade judges to order the increase. Another idea is that she will in fact recommend cross-examination of their statements by defence counsel. This is really sick. They will act out how the child they lost was the apple of their eye. The defence will then refer them to everything that might, possibly, perhaps, could be taken as less than loving treatment of the kid. I get the impression that her plans initially consisted of letting those who had lost relatives have a say - some sort of psychological relief. Bits have been added as her staff have pointed out the problems one by one. Rather like a sieve having holes patched up so that it may float.
We're also getting sad updates about NO and the adjacent areas under the flood and flattened by the high winds. The actions of the looters are holding back the rescue efforts. The rescue efforts are hampered by the fact that there is no suitable facility to accommodate those taken into what might be considered care. It does seem to be taking a long while for relief to get into it's stride.
We are now seeing a spell of good weather here. The days end with a humid atmosphere and there is some rain most nights. This keeps things nice and fresh and clean.
After using the same microwave for about two years, I had to undergo re-indoctrination from SWMBO when it failed and we bought a new one. I failed to detect anything that had altered but still had to test drive it the first few times with her at my elbow. Eventually, my heating milk procedure was accepted and I am now a Class 1 driver again. Why is it that someone who lacks all mechanical understanding and empathy becomes a engineering wizard just because something is used in a kitchen setting?
I've finally managed to fill my iPod! Seeing the piles and piles of now redundant CDs really brings home the wonders of digital science. 3500+ tunes should mean that I do not have to change anything already recorded. I have a neat little thing that makes the iPod broadcast to any adjacent radio so as to listen but avoid that teenager thing of ear plugs. The other clever bit is a remote control that means I can leave the iPod where I am likely to find it again but still be in charge of volume and killing a tune if it does not then appeal.Having seen the benefits of something really small that I can control (and use selfishly just for me), I'm thinking about a portable DVD player. Something to write on my note to Santa I think.
Small dog had another rabbit today. Not such a triumph as it is now certain that myxi-whatever it is, is in the family at the picnic place - humane destruction really. She doesn't quite understand so we still have to have five minutes discussion of how clever she is, what a fearsome hunter she has become, blah blah blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment