Friday 30 September 2005

Could I be a drone?

I was talking to someone the other day who keeps bees. Yes – I do live life to the extremes don’t I? I had never thought too much about bees but this chap knew so much that he was very interesting. There is an article here that explains just how things work in a hive. Everything is very well ordered, bees know what they are supposed to do and get on with doing it.
My chat came back when I was reading the debate that is currently afoot in America. This is centred on the question of whether the Bible is correct in describing the origins of life as intelligent design or, as deduced by Darwin, evolution. This requires quite deep thinking – well, deep to me anyway. The thing I have never solved about Genesis is where did God get the bits to make Adam. What gave him the idea of man, and then woman, and then all the myriad other life forms? What IS it all about Alfie? I have the same problem with Darwin. From what did we evolve; how did it get onto earth? Doubtless, had I been one of Father Flathat’s congregation, I would have been told to have faith and believe. Sorry, Father – I do not and cannot. I really would like to understand just a small corner; what makes bees have an almost perfectly organised world?
Today has been a weird sort of day for me. I feel as if I am floating along looking down on myself. The guy down there interests me but I also feel that he and I are in no way connected. He does not influence me or I him. Given that, I cannot understand my fascination with this other body. I also seem to see the minutest detail in flowers and insects and have a sense of wonderment at what is going on in these other worlds. Almost as if in the grip of a benign LSD event. It was so strong that I had to get Norma to take over driving because I was clearly away with the peatbog fairies.

No comments:

Post a Comment