Monday 19 September 2005

When a sheepdog gets bored, it can easily adapt and find something to amuse itself.
Not so for me.
My own efforts at blogging led me to collect a large number of journals that I found interesting, challenging or educational. In that insidious way that side-bars have, most of these led me to yet more writing that I found attractive. I started to try to analyze the best of these and came up with a conclusion. The skill of writing has to be bolstered by interesting subjects. Yes - creative writing allows drafting dreams and journalistic compositions follow the old adage 'write about what you know'
Whilst compared to the youth of today, my 100 word essay is War & Peace re-done, I really just string a good vocabulary along a washing line of verbs. Recounting what I know leads me down the road of 'When I was a lad...'. That brings us back to boredom.
So - a pause for reflection. Can I regain that sense of being part of a big adventure; indeed, is it now an adventure at all? I see it as something akin to climbing Everest. Those first at the summit went through a heck of a lot of pain and suffering. Now, it is almost down to little old blue rinsed ladies in tennis shoes going up in groups of 20 or 30. I would not wish to get to the top in such unchallenging conditions that have evolved.
I think I'll get in touch with Kate Moss' agents and offer myself as a surrogate lover who would get her off the drugs and lesbian sex of which she stands accused. That way I can combine being creative and what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment