Friday 17 March 2006

Tales from the bedroom

Because Norma seems to spend a fair part of each night singing ‘Oh for the wings of a dove’ when she is not dancing the bossa nova, I have moved my bedroom. We have a nice small room in the attic conversion area and that is now my bedroom. Not too many sloping eaves. Just one smallish Velux window so no fussing with curtains night and morning. I have set about making it into more of a den than a window.
A programmable oil heater keeps it warm and toasty once I am in bed – if I stick to the programme – without overheating the room. I’ve added a time switch extension bar so that my alarm is from a nice soft light coming on and not some raucous bell ringing. This extension also controls the music from iPod and the radio so that I get soft light, music and then news broadcast in that order. My dvd player and a nice selection of films is also conveniently to hand.
Latest add-in was a clock – time signal from the place at Rugby of course – combined with a weather centre. This has a sensor to show outside temperature so I can be in bed and know just how lucky I am to have stopped all that commuting annoyance. There is a barometer feature so I get a little man displaying what sort of clothes I need to find. Any more customizing (something to produce cold gin and tonic sir?) and I’ll have to think about a burglar alarm. Only drawback is that Sable does not like the attic area since the days when it was a pistol range and she will not come up there at all. I felt a bit off colour the other evening and it was comforting to be able to retire with my man flu to my own-design little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment