Saturday 24 June 2006

Commercial ways and means

I'd been thinking to switch my ISP from BT to Talk Talk. No real problems with BT service although I have scars from dealing with them when I was a wage slave. Things got to the stage where I had to get a Migration Code from BT as the laststage before transfer.
The service clerk asked why I was leaving BT and I said it was purely financial. She asked if I would consider staying if they offered me a special deal. Long story short is I'm staying with them at half what it has been costing me and just slightly less than Talk Talk would have been.

I was still congratulating myself on this deal when pointy nose dog and I went for our midday walk up into the hills. Our usual parking spot was crowded out with two low-loader vehicles and a gaggle of vans. Mainly BT with heavy plant machinery digging a service trench. I then noticed that a low-loader had a Baden Baden address from Germany. So had the other. So had some five or six vans and 4x4 vehicles. The ditch-digging was being discused in German between the digger driver and a boss sort of person. I was intrigued by the foreign connection - surely they had not dug the trench some 1,000 miles from their home town?

I found a Scots-looking face and commented that service centres in Calcutta was one thing but Germany plant? He could not explain either.

If they can afford to take on a contractor who has to ship equipment and workers from Germany, pay for accommodation and other living expenses, who know what deal I might have got on my internet had I been a bit more hard-nosed?

No comments:

Post a Comment