Sunday 4 June 2006

Get digging

Down at the beach today exercising Old Pointy Nose the dog and came upon a guy with a metal detector. I saw him pick up and examine three ring objects which he put into his pocket. He saw me looking and said something about what a lovely looking dog I had.
I told him that as he seemed an intelligent person, I would ask him a question. What did he find with his machinery?
Seems that in just one 3 day period last Summer - just after a holiday weekend - he had found over £137 in just a two hundred yard stretch of beach. Only three days ago, he found seven £1 coins all together. He showed me the rings and they were nicely engraved but well corroded. He also produced a pre-decimal three penny piece that was the same sort of shape as the current 50P coin.
We discussed the life of a detector man. Seems he comes across quite a few interesting items on the beach. When I thought about it - which is rarely - I had imagined that detecting in a newly ploughed field would be more productive given the extent of warlike action over our landscape. Seems that one could spend one's while lifetime in a ploughed field and get nothing.
All that knowledge from just a snide remark. Great value.
What a wonderful world we live in!

No comments:

Post a Comment