Friday 15 September 2006

What are you reading today?

Seems like the Internet cuckoo is just about getting ready to toss the Main Stream Media (MSM) chicks out of the nest. The owner of the LA Times has demanded job cuts and is at loggerheads with his Editor on his demand. Lack of profits is the stated cause.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is threatened with closure if the Unions do not agree to cost-cutting initiatives. Long run of losses is at the root of this.
The NY Times reports a sale of a chain of radio stations in face of drop in listeners in switch to Internet-based interests.
Looking at from over the Big Pond I wonder just what it is that is leading the switch. Living as we do ‘interesting times’, it cannot be the paucity of news. There seems to be an enormous list of interesting events bubbling about in the stew of American media. Never mind the actual news – I’m sure one could fell an ox with a paper made up of learned commentators’ comments.
Perhaps it is this very overload that is doing the damage. Reading a paper is like getting Push e-mail; it is there whether one wants it or not. When I go to my home page I can see a précis of news and can choose whether I click further or not. I am an avid reader of blogs (the serious ones that is! Younggirl15 on video does not sweat my rocks) and gather an immense mass of current events from them.Here we have circulation wars but that is more about the share of the reading public and I am unaware of any decline in overall print runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment