Tuesday 4 November 2008

Not with forked tongue

I do not have a lot of time for Paxman. I find him overbearing, bullying and loud. I conceded that he gets better answers from politicians in this way - they are used to it and trained for it - but he uses the same approach to all those he interviews.
However, he has written a piece about the wearing of poppies that I find excellent.

The way things are going in Afghanistan, British soldiers could still be risking life and limb long after Tony Blair has retired to his country house and a seat in the House of Lords.

I shall wear a poppy not because I believe the gun is the best way of settling disputes, still less because I admire the pretence, ambition, folly, vanity or desperation of the politicians who make the fateful decisions.

I shall wear a poppy because an act of remembrance once a year is the very least that those of us who have not been asked to risk our lives can offer those who did not have our choice.
Perhaps he should stick to writing and use his forensic talent there?

No comments:

Post a Comment