Sunday 5 March 2006

Muzzled like dangerous dogs

Afraid I am still wound up about the edict issued in relation to police officers blogging.
One of the things mentioned in the warning was
....... the 'impact of expressing views and opinions that are damaging to the organisation or bring the organisation into disrepute' must be considered. Disciplinary proceedings may be considered.
We have not seen very much of the Commissioner Blair recently. I am sure that there is a damned good case for considering how his 'views and opinions brought the organisation into disrepute' at the time the man on the tube train was executed. Even if one ignores his reckless making of statements that were untrue, there is the situation where he was the head of a force that came into disrepute and he has a responsibility there. Has that ever been considered? Will we see disciplinary proceedings instituted against him?

Another point I am uneasy about is the general state of the force. None of the blogs I read - and I think I got just about every one there was - were insubordinate as I would regard it in a disciplined force sort of way. All appeared reasonable in expressing frustration at the way the force was organised which reduced the service they should be giving the general public. So, why did these reasonable police officers feel that there was no point in addressing matters through their chain of command? There will always be malcontents in any organisation. None of the bloggers I read came into this category; I saw enough disgruntled employees in my own civilian career to recognise them. What though will be the effect of this unnecessary censorship? Will it send the writers and their friends off in a state of excitement at the way their organisation values them and the way they perform their duties?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete