Monday 6 November 2006

Out Damned spot

I have had to switch on the moderation feature in Comments. Sorry about this but I refuse to allow spamming adverts and the moderation seems to be the only way that I can keep them away from you, the readers.

Please be assured that my oversight of Comments before they appear will never result in any true Comment being withheld, altered or otherwise messed about. I know the requirement to copy some incomprehensible set of code can be a pain in the nether regions. If any one of you finds this as annoying as I do, contact me on my email (j.wood999@btinternet.com) and I'll make sure the Comment gets placed.

I had a number of emails from readers of my blog about the ethics question on children born with a disability. Most prefaced their communication with something along the lines of not wishing to comment publicly on such a minefield. I have to respect their reticence but can say that those who wrote supported the idea that such measures were appropriate in severe instances.

I experienced a sort of coincidence or alignment with my blog the day after I posted it. Whilst enjoying some retail therapy (it's not just ladies and shoes you know!) I was served at the check-out by a young woman who displayed the symptoms of what I know as cerebral palsy. If that is now an unacceptable description, please forgive me. Also, I am not being
condescending when I say that she was extremely good at what she was doing. She made conversation, helped with the Ali Baba trick of plastic bag opening and was quick and accurate at what she was scanning. When the time came to pay, I realised my wallet was still in the car and told her things would have to wait whilst I got it. This did fluster her and she became animated but told me what I had to do. I got the wallet and paid. I felt guilty at having disturbed her but the thought came to me that this lady was one who might not have got out of the delivery room alive but here she was leading what seemed to be a full, happy and productive life. So, who are we to theorise? I do not want to identify her save to say she was an Asda employee and they are to be commended for giving her an opportunity to contribute. For those outside UK, Asda is the English arm of Walmart of whom I have read criticism over employment practises so even better for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment