Monday 19 February 2007

Anyone seen my book?


I have been following the troubles of a wife uprooted from London and replanted in Northumberland. I've followed it for a while as I thought it might contrast with our experiences and thoughts following a similar relocation. As it has turned out, there is little similarity. She came North when her husband chose a better life; her own involvement seems less than total. He retained the same job and has, therefore, to spend considerable time in the South leaving her to her own devices. This has made her blog somewhat vinegary to my mind. However, for her it seems to have paid off as she has been given a smallish advance and is now writing a book from her daily contributions. I will keep up with the blog; any decision to buy her book will depend on my enjoyment of this. At the moment, I often find myself wanting to reach through the screen and give her a damned good shake. “Get with it woman. Stop feeling so sorry for yourself. Do not just retreat under the duvet”
Of course, she is not the first person to graduate from a blog to a full blown novel. There are a number of very talented writers who have gone down that route. Michael Yon is my favourite in this respect. He has the added bonus of being a very fine photographer and this adds immensely in his description of things in Iraq. Nearer to home we have the prospect of a book from a woman caught up in the London tube bombings of 7 July. Her story is almost a example of 'Into each life a little rain must fall' as she had earlier been the victim of a brutal assault and rape. My interest in this lady is that she seems to have escaped the problem of post traumatic stress disorder; a subject that draws a lot of my attention.
Whilst I am pleased that these bloggers have graduated to the big time, I have a small sadness that we are seeing another development from the basic idea of the blog. We have seen them attract criticism as an alternative wing of the media with calls for some form of central control and censorship. Many who used their working life as the basis for their writings have been threatened with some form of disciplinary action despite their being most scrupulous in keeping personalities anonymous. It is no coincidence that they mostly detailed the constraints put upon their performance by officialdom and it's demands for record keeping and that most were in the police. I would regret seeing the simple blog develop into just another demand for attention.
I cannot see that these blatherings of mine will attract any interest from publishers. One has to really work at one's blog; I am too undisciplined for that. What I do is draw attention to things that amuse or interest me which might otherwise be missed by those with less time on their hands than I have to wander about in the Internet ether. My only brush with the life of the rich and famous seems to be that I have acquired a stalker. Of course, the cachet of such an attendant is now wearing a little thin but mine does produce some small interest for me. When I run out of sheep to count and have abandoned the idea of self-abuse as a sleep bringer I dream about who he might be. I say 'he' but retain the possibility that it could be a 'she'. My casual acquaintances include some with the level of non-education that they might call themselves 'Joe' in mistake for 'Jo' He seems to have some sort of association with individuals who were a wing of my family but chose to separate themselves. There does not seem any risk that he/she will turn into some form of bunny boiler. So it looks as if I'm going to be denied the thrill of the chase.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:17

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete