Saturday 24 February 2007

Mile high club pioneers

The heady days of civil aviation are recalled in a blog which carries photographs of female cabin crew.

They were all part of the package. Flying just after the 39-45 war was glamorous and exciting. I flew home from Hong Kong in 1956 in a BOAC Clipper Class flight which was just one class - First. Proper French wines in crystal glass, meals served on china with silver cutlery. If one asked for a roast, it was carved at the seat. I do not know what the level of sexual activity really was but one phrase I recall was a stewardess using the line "Tea, coffee or me?" The rumnours led to their being referred to as trolley dollies. Now, employment legislation bars their being weeded out on grounds of age and any idea of their employer controlling their image has gone a long way out of the window. Not a bad thing. I flew out of Beirut on MEA, the Lebanese airline where the stewardess was so wide that she had to progress down the aisle sideways. I'd certainly choose tea or coffee there.

No comments:

Post a Comment