Wednesday 21 March 2007

Global warming - just one of those things?

I am sure that I do not have to rehearse the pro and con of global warning. Is it as a result of how we are treating the planet or is is a cyclical thing? What do we need to do - if anything? I am prepared to admit that my only concern is selfish. I cannot see why man has spent all that time and money making nice vehicles, gadgets to amuse, cheap air travel, world wide food available all the year round etc. etc. only for me to get onto the mobile but erratic flowing sewer that is public transport whilst smelling of organic lentil soup and wearing shoes made of Indian car tyres. My conscience is eased by the thought that man's creativity has always come up with very many solutions to other problems and will no doubt crack this one before we all sink under melted ice water.

However. I read an article yesterday that got to where the other words have failed. Putting the argument into just what alternatives involve seems to destroy the idea of producing alternatives. Way back when I was 'an oil man' it had been calculated that the area needed for grain to convert into alternative fuel sufficient to serve America alone was one and a half times the area of the USA. That left no room to grow food crops.

Co-incidence at work. I had just posted this and started to look at my blog feeds and saw reference to this ethanol Pro and Con item. Damned if you do and damned if you don't I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment