Sunday 8 April 2007

Over my dead body

I think there is a phrase somewhere about the cobbler sticking to his last? Cobbler being a shoe mender and the last was an anvil sort of thing he used when working on the soles of the shoes.

I apply it here to those members of the medical profession who put their interpretation of religious strictures before the wishes of their patients. I have such a living will that directs that I be allowed to fade away in the event that the alternative is a life spent plugged into an electrical socket outlet like some condom vending machine. That is my wish. Carefully and fully considered. Discussed with partner and medical adviser. Noted on my medical records. So, I would find it more than a tad vexing should some doctor oppose me. I have no problem with them having a religious belief. Rather that than a Dr Shipman complex.

To me, a far better situation would be that prior to commencing his training, the doctor considered what his responsibilities might include.He has to take the rough with the smooth in my book. If those who, like me, seek a smooth release are denied that comfort - comfort both physically and mentally - then we will have to take matters into our own hands. That leaves the risk of incomplete or botched suicides and a possible feeling amongst the deceased's family that the actions of their loved one was somehow selfish.

To me, doctors (cobblers) should stick to medicine (their lasts).

No comments:

Post a Comment