Wednesday 17 June 2009

Eastys as opposed to Westys

A couple of years back, courtesy of #1 son, I visited Berlin. I had never had a great desire to you there whilst I was serving as a soldier in Germany - the formalities of getting in and out put me off.
We went into what had been East Berlin and also into the former East Germany. I was entranced. The place seemed to have been in a time warp and the brash face of West Berlin seemed a million miles away. It was a bit like The Third Man come alive. I found myself wondering if we might find a night club a la Cabaret with off key oompa pa pa band and fat hostesses.
This note was inspired by an album of photographs which well show the state of the place that is now in my memory.

Posted via email from John's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment