Monday 30 May 2005

Nutrition & Dreams

I came across this today whilst wandering through the ether. I’ll miss the link so as to save the lady’s blushes.

"I was at the golf store comparing different kinds of golf balls. I was unhappy with the women's type I had been using. After browsing for several minutes, I was approached by one of the good-looking gentlemen who work at the store. He asked if he could help me. Without thinking, I looked at him and said, "I think I like playing with men's balls."

Maybe that’s the attraction for the rather fearsome ladies I see at the local club? I thought it might be something that Venus Williams or her sister would say and then realised the stupidity of thinking that either of them might play golf. Nice swing!

Been some discussion today on nutrigenomics. Very intensive and targeted at the individual. There was a radio report today on how this is done. It is not just an analysis of DNA but also requires a very comprehensive life-style and activity questionnaire. I suspect that reading that someone is a regular diner at Manoir de Quatre Seasons and spends most of their time watching TV will suggest dietary changes that do not need sophisticated laboratory work. We should set this against what is a really serious concern as is due to the background of the new Bob Geldorf initiative to deal with world wide famine of the sort reported in the Guardian I suspect the DNA-related thing is just another passing fancy of the type such as where we had very large plates with tiny portions decoratively dressed – cuisine minceur or whatever. Back when I was object of corporate hostility I would decline hospitality at the places who dealt in such confidence tricks. I used to explain that my frame could handle such ideas but only if it were a Yorkshireman’s idea of cuisine minceur. Edward, son of James, of High Street Addis Ababa will not concern himself what sort of DNA-compliant diet he gets. I think this a better home for money than nutrigenomics.

Day dreaming today and wondered what sort of holiday I might fix myself should I ever be persuaded to get back on a long distance flight. Went into Atlanta and then a big circle through Nashville, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston, along the Gulf Coast to Tallahassee and back to Atlanta. About 14 days worth. Could not guarantee that Dallas might not be a jump-off point for Arizona though! Needs a bit of effort on my part to get over the narrow-seat, pig-sty, accommodation on the plane. The regular first class when with the oil company and sleeping bag up the back with RAF flights spoilt me for this but the award might overcome the pain barrier. But, as I said, a day dream.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete