Friday 15 July 2005

Silence

I was very impressed by the 2 minute silence yesterday. The television reports from around the world showed large crowds all observing this united mark of respect to those who were involved in the events of last week. I did not see even one person fail to halt what they were doing. Drivers got out of their vehicles and all were standing. Even small children were quiet and still. There have been other calls for such a demonstration after other tragic events that were not universally answered and I feared this one would be ignored in the same way. The other thing was the inclusion of all races so it was not just a Bulldog Spirit sort of thing.
We may yet have to face further cowardly attacks on innocent citizens. Were I a terrorist (or, as the BBC avers - a bomber) I would save my efforts and go elsewhere. The 'We Are Not Afraid' banners said it all. It was as much this spirit of resistence as it was respect that impressed me.

Another source of pride has been the police investigation. Evidence sought was prioritised and the work of the CCTV viewers was amply rewarded. There may be criticism about the lack of warning; and that is not a matter for right now anyway, but the enquiry officers may rightly hold their heads high. The simple image of our Queen will be with me for a long time. With her, showing solidarity in this manner is inherited from her parents who were fastidious about showing themselves during the Blitz period of the last war. No shall we, should we, faffing around as there was at the time of Diana's demise. As a Brit it is not in my background to be too demonstrative but right now I'm very proud to be one.
Respect and sympathy to those who have to live on in the absence of loved ones who have gone before to join the Great Majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment