Monday 17 October 2005

Don't touch me - I'm a terrorist

Those who have a problem with the "up to 90 days" anti-terrorist legislation should read this article.
The main opposition comes from the people who claim to be acting in defence of human rights. The arguments I have heard completely deny any discussion other than "human rights". They completely deny the merest suggestion that there are any balancing rights. What about my human right to go about my business or pleasure without being spread all over the walls of some building? Why should I be subject to additional procedures and searches brought about by people who have no respect for human rights and who are quite prepared to sacrifice themselves in pursuance of their selfish demands? I do not see this as a black and white situation - there are shades of white and shades of black. It is not that suspects will be fitted with iron masks and committed to some deep deep dungeon for 90 days.
I rather like the idea of a supervising judge in terrorist investigations. Those countries that have some form of the Napoleonic Code criminal procedure employ this system and I have always liked it when working as part of such a system.
The increasing use of computers and spread of an investigations across numerous countries involving different languages and criminal codes means that the current 14 days is insufficient. Given the volatility of the 7 July-type terrorist, there is a grave danger of carrying out investigations until guilt and involvement is clear and potentially dangerous players have to be taken out of the game at an early stage.