Wednesday 19 October 2005

Oi mate - point of bleeding order!!

Admittedly, this is politics 'down under' but I had the feeling as
to how this might be Prime Minister's Questions here had Ken Clarke
got into the Leader position he deserves. This is from The Grauniad...

A heated exchange took place in the New South Wales legislative assembly
yesterday
concerning improvements to the Pacific Highway, which the Backbencher
is happy to quote here.

"Mr JOSEPH TRIPODI: When I visited Bonville, the local parliamentary
representative was somewhere in Sydney. He was unable to be found in
his own electorate. I was well received by the Mayor of Coffs Harbour
and the Mayor of Bellingen.
Mr ANDREW FRASER: Point of order: Sit down, clown! The minister has
made an attack on me, which was totally untrue. If he wishes to
attack me, it should be by way of substantive motion.
ACTING SPEAKER: Order! There is no point of order.
FRASER: There is. If he wishes to attack me, I suggest you tell him
to do it by way of substantive motion.
TRIPODI: Look, mate, the people who live in Sydney think that Coffs
Harbour is the place to go for holidays, not for the local member.
FRASER: You are a bloody liar!
TRIPODI: For the people who live in Sydney, Coffs Harbour is a place
to go on holidays.
ACTING SPEAKER: Order! The honourable member for Coffs Harbour will
resume his seat.
FRASER: Would you like a bloody drink of water, mate? I tell you, I
should ask you about the 13 deaths.
ACTING-SPEAKER: Order! I place the honourable member for Coffs
Harbour on three calls to order. I ask the deputy sergeant-at-arms to
remove him from the chamber.
FRASER: Christ! Thirteen bloody deaths! Thirteen deaths and you want
to lie about where I was on parliamentary business in Sydney, you
clown! And you stand there and do that? I won't take that, you bloody
liar! You are a bloody disgrace to this place and a disgrace to your
portfolio and your electorate!
[The honourable member for Coffs Harbour left the chamber,
accompanied by the sergeant-at-arms.]"

No comments:

Post a Comment