Tuesday 28 February 2006

Columnists

Thought today looked as if it would be a bare news day. No – come on, behave. I meant that there would be little of interest. I took the wallet for an airing when I went to collect our usual paper and got a slack handful of the other papers just to have a change of diet.
What gets me is the number of columnists. Each paper has about five or more who are obviously hung on hooks somewhere and lifted down to do a 1,000 words on just about anything under the sun. They are instant opinion shouters. I wonder if their columns are genuinely felt or written from hacking into someone else’s conscience.
What would be interesting would be to follow them for a few weeks and see if they slip up and contradict themselves in any one column against another. What I will do is set myself the task of writing a column on a random subject and then seeing how one compiles things to get a finished result. I do not think they will figure here or anywhere else though.

No comments:

Post a Comment