Thursday 30 March 2006

Good Time George

My iPod has reached that spot where the George Melly recordings are held. I've been remembering much that was dear to me way back in the early '50s. 'My canary has circles under its eyes', 'Abdul the Bulbul Emir' and 'Sweet Georgia Brown' were hits that I could sing to myself on the long walk home from girl-friends homes. Ah yes, the days when one walked home. He had a style that was not noticed to any great degree but his interpretative skills were on a par with Sinatra. His dress sense was a long way from Old Blue Eyes though; mainly a black track suit as I remember.
He does little nowadays. Still tours but in a very relaxed manner. Writes some extremely good art reviews.
Long may he stay with us. My hooks to the days of my youth are coming undone all too fast for my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment