Saturday 1 April 2006

Warfarin & me


Whilst it may be that this rat poison is keeping me away from the scenario where I exist courtesy of a 13amp wall socket (must remember to have one of those 'please do not switch off' cards ready),it is causing me a lot of aggro in other ways.
My balance seems to have gone awry. I find myself tripping over things that are not there or having serious problems in avoiding going arse over tit because of a matchstick.
The real annoyance is that it has killed off my internal thermostat. I had always been able to ignore the most severe cold weather. Even in Korea. Heat was another thing with which I had little problems. I used to joke that this was due to not allowing myself to think cold or think hot.
Those protections have now gone. I've had to move into my own bedroom so that I can have the extra oil-filled radiator and the two high tog-rated duvet. This gets the room up to about 20 degrees and I can tolerate that with my pyjamas as well.
Mind you, there is a payback. I can have the lights on or off as and when I wish. I can have my music live instead of through earphones. At whatever time I choose. The dvd player is there for as and when it is wanted. Given that most nights are fragmented with no uninterrupted sleep, these are luxuries well worth my self-imposed isolation. I can have more than one book on the go at any one time without being scorned as a lightweight. Plus, things can be 'filed' on the floor. Aah - wonderful. But, on the whole, I'd rather have my thermostat back.

No comments:

Post a Comment