Thursday 13 April 2006

Minor victory

Whilst shopping today in the supermarket that is Asda, I took a carton of milk and opened it there and then. I was very thirsty and the place was like an oven. On getting to the check-out, I placed the empty carton on the moving belt along with all my other purchases.
The checkout person was an elderly man. He was obviously new to the job. Almost nothing he waved at the automatic price aperture was recognised. He would then turn the item around and wave it desperately at the ruby light. Eventually, he had to enter the product number manually. He was not a happy bunny and this made him a little surly. Two or three times, he held goods up and asked me if they were mine. Who else they might have as potential owner I cannot think.
When he got to the empty milk carton, he shook it and said, "This is empty". My nature is such that I could not resist replying, "Best dump it in your bin then". He did just that. No attempt to swipe the item into my billing. Bingo.
I was sorely tempted to have the goods on Asda. I did not want to confuse and possibly embarrass him in front of the next customer who had already shared raised eyebrows with me at the chap's performance. I told the people at the exit Help desk what had happened and paid there.

No comments:

Post a Comment