Saturday 13 May 2006

A policeman's lot.....

After all the reams of p.c. Modern Day Attitudes stuff we have forced upon us I was pleased to see that some magistrates have some brain under the horsehair. Well done that man. Mind you, the police officer took a hell of a risk and – I suppose – will have to face some sort of internal discipline investigation.

Much press coverage is being given to the killing of a female Special Constable.  At first reading, it may appear that her volunteer service is irrelevant as she was at home and off duty at the time of the incident that led to her death.  I cannot agree. Few other women – indeed, few other men – would have taken the positive action she took when she thought her husband’s property was under threat. Her plea when discovered, wounded, was “Call the police” and not “Get me an ambulance”. This typifies her priorities. I have just the one nagging concern.

Police advice to the general public is not to “have a go”. We are often advised ‘this man is dangerous and should not be approached’ when descriptions of wanted criminals are circulated. Advice is to observe and make notes that will assist identification before calling police. I just hope that her Force orders have some such instruction and that the authority are not encouraging officers to tackle events too big for them. No no no – I am NOT criticising this woman. I hope I would have the balls to do the same. But – she possibly better than any civilian – would have known the risks in our violent society. It is a shame that her valour cost her her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment