Wednesday 1 November 2006

The broad umbrella of the Church

I am not a believer in the sense of going to Church on Sundays in my best suit and my own personal missal under my arm. I know many will say that this observence is nothing to do with the true Church. My disbelief goes further. I've noted on here that I had a now-deceased Aunt who would nowadays be described as some sort of Christian fundamentalist in the style of the Taliban (or, even, a Jesuit). She had a great influence in my childhood and I could pray, sing hymns, quote from the Scriptures, pontificate as well as any faithful in the last year at Seminary.

The er - scales fell from my eyes when I joined the Army and saw just what went on outside my Aunt's upper class Victorian lounge. The world was not a happy place - I knew that but had not realised just what went on in the big wide world. I got to that question I suppose we all ask sometime. "If my God is the God of love (or insert definition to suit), how does he permit (such and such) to happen? Where is the Love in that? Why does a shepherd allow one of his flock to be treated in this way?". An age-old philosopher named Epicurus has put the ultimate problem into words, Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to; or he cannot and does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent (meaning He is weak somehow). If he can, and does not want to, he is wicked. But, if God both can and wants to abolish evil, then how comes evil in the world? This is, of course, the Big One when it comes to things the clergy must know. I'm being tested, I'm being punished, I'm sure you have heard them all anyway. I once had a very long discussion with a Jewish rabbi on the lines of suffering as a means of spiritual growth. My Catholic contacts had the quick answer along the lines of 'have faith. Believe' when I put the final question to them. It was the non-resolution of this question that led me to put religion on one side.

This is a preamble far longer than intended about something that has just been decided here. It concerns a young woman Helen Percy. A "It does not matter whether you gave your consent or not. It is still adultery" She went to an tribunal. She had been punished and male ministers known to have extramarital relations were allowed to remain in office. Now, this is where things get very spooky, Low down and dirty. The kirk's response to the tribunal was that 1921 C of S Act states "It receives from Lord J C as divine head, the right and power subject to no civil authority to legislate and to adjudicate fully in all matters of Church discipline" In other words 'Foxtrot Oscar the World'

I live within 80 yards of a Church of Scotland church. I hope that I can resist walking that short distance with a can of red spray paint in my hand. 1921 in Scotland when it comes to religion is like the Dark Ages and I can understand the safeguards built into the Act. But, just what sort of twisted, out of date, unsympathic mind allowed this to be used as a defence in 2006? I do not know what this case will do to the image of the Church of Scotland but for me it reinforces my attitude to organised religion.

Just in case there is anyone out there who worries about my state of disbelief, let me add that my early grounding was sufficient to cause me to realise that one must have a set of guiding principles in place of any 10 Commandments. 'This I will try and do. This I will not do". I formulated my own. Amended and expanded as I went through the school of life, hard knocks class. A couple of years ago, I went off on a Buddhist retreat. Given what that religion has been through, I thought it might have answers about a God of Love protecting us. They live by 10 precepts. Same number as Commandments but set out without reference to coveting my neighbours arse. This is they.

  • The ten precepts
    I undertake to abstain from taking life.
    I undertake to abstain from taking the not-given.
    I undertake to abstain from sexual misconduct.
    I undertake to abstain from false speech.
    I undertake to abstain from harsh speech.
    I undertake to abstain from useless speech.
    I undertake to abstain from slanderous speech.
    I undertake to abstain from covetousness.
    I undertake to abstain from animosity.
    I undertake to abstain from false views.

These almost exactly reflected my Things I will do and Things I will not do. I cannot put hand on heart and say I achieve every one of these, every day,in every way. I do try. If there be anyone reading this with a problem regarding religiosity, I commend these ten simple sentences to you. They work far better after discussion and expansion with a learned Buddhist but work straight out of the box as well.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete