Thursday 9 June 2005

Firearms fever

I own a very realistic-looking air pistol. It looks very much like a Smith & Wesson.
This is one of the sort of air weapons that the government is planning to ban. This is included in what they seem to see as a catch-all Act to deal with replica weapons and air weapons. Good idea. But, to what purpose? The banning of real hand guns following events at Dunblane was supposed to lead to the reduction in gun crime. Well, that didn't work did it? It may have reduced the rate of growth in shootings but we have no way of knowing this. Some replica weapons can be converted to fire live rounds - I cannot think why anyone would bother when a real firearm is so easily available to those who know where to look. If fully trained and specially selected SO19 officers can be fooled by a table leg wrapped in plastic, "weap0ns" are everywhere.
Mine was bought as I have always enjoyed shooting. There is just enough space in my attic to set up a reasonable range and the item has never been outside the house from the day the postman delivered it. I don't really care what happens to replicas and air weapons. My complaint is with the fuddled, knee-jerk, reaction of the government. Just 'banning' something will not do away with it. People drink and drive, exceed the speed limit, let their leylandi grow too high and legislation has not made much of an inroad.
My internet phone from Skype arrived yesterday and was duly installed, failed to work, removed, re-installed and then worked. I have three contacts at the moment and was able to speak to two of them OK. Mt daughter obviously has hers working through a tin of Fosters and a piece of string as the sound is rubbish - so bad it cannot be used. Advice has been given! I think this has a future.
The diet seems to be working. My experience is that size comes off in the order in which it went on so that bit of me between the nipples and belly-button seems to be going down nicely. No way will it ever be a six-pack area but I'll be happy if I can turn it from a 18 gallon barrel to a pipkin.
The G8 protest planning seems to be moving ahead. The dissenters have issued pages of legal advice to their members who will be there. I cannot imagine the Met taking a lot of notice of someone spouting a diatribe from this page. Once a riot sparks itself off, it all gets rather fun for those controlling - all those boring lectures and training days pay off in a short burst of "me or you sunshine".
This police officer has an interesting slant on many things but his latest effort ties in with what I've written above. Oh! and a nice word for my chaps.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous14:40

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete