Friday 19 August 2005

Offensive speaking

Absolutely by accident and not as a Google Moment, I came across this quote:
Erik Estrada and Orson Welles were once in a room together. Erik, hot from "Chips", was trying to be friendly when he gave Mr. Welles, the genius behind "Citizen Kane", some advice on losing weight. He gave him one of those fresh juice and exercise spiels. Orson reponded with something like, "Mr. Estrada, I know I am fat and if I wanted to do something about it I could. But you, my friend, are an idiot and I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about that."
That will have to go into the right to be offensive file I think. I am also reminded that when I was about 22 or so, a young lieutenant commented that I looked like Orson Welles. I dismissed it saying, "More like 'orseandcart". Over the years, he got promoted and I met him then as a Major General. It was very formal with all sorts of nervous officers about. He came straight up to me and made the same remark - I gave the same reply. Considerable confusion amongst onlookers who were thinking up mutiny or worse charges. We had a good chat and he wandered off but my street cred was well raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment