Thursday 15 September 2005

Deep thoughts lurk here

If you are short of a good book to read, have a look at this report about my old mate Mazlow. He has some quite developed ideas about what makes a satisfied individual. At one time, I was a great fan of his Triangle of Needs and could use it to describe just about anyone with whom I came into contact. I had stopped at a fairly low level of the Triangle and wondered what it was that stopped me following the path detailed by The Master.
Discussion with those more learned than I - yes, maybe with the alcoholics under the bridge - showed that I had in fact got to the top of his triangle by getting a full grip on what he describes as Adventure. Adventure is the need for an adrenaline rush, to have new experiences, to travel, to have major experiences, to have drama in their life, to have a sense of anticipation about upcoming events. I have been described as an adrenaline junky. If I cannot access the juice, I may create a situation where fight or flight becomes important. Not always a good thing.
I found psychology and sociology very interesting when I did my studies courtesy of OU. I thought that my service life had taught me a heck of a lot about these. What I got from the formal studies was WHY things I foresaw actually arose or came about. People are fascinating and Maslow is a good place to start. Even if you just look-in to see what is your prime motivator or need.

No comments:

Post a Comment