Friday 16 September 2005

Racist bigot bstard

Way way way back when I first started this blogging mania, I set out certain things about my personality. Main amongst these was my conviction that I had been an undiagnosed sufferer of Aspergers Syndrome. Undiagnosed because the Syndrome had not been formed in my childhood. My youth and late teens were marked by efforts made by others to ‘cure’ my behaviour which was seen as anti-social. I will dignify these efforts as tough love and, whilst I cannot see that they cured the Syndrome, they forced me to recognise that some things were unacceptable to other people and I had best modify my manners. One of the things I had to deal with was my attitude towards others not of my race. I saw them as different – not inferior or superior – just dissimilar. Until relatively recently, this attitude was not controversial. Now however, one is thought of as a racist or bigoted. Any debate about the difference will be diverted into inevitable argument and derision. I adopted a position that I call reverse apartheid. Instead of keeping others away from me, I kept myself away from them. Physically, mentally and socially. As I do not have any specific animus towards those of other skin pigment or race, I would like to enter into a debate on the points they make when complaining about the way they are treated or regarded.

It is this background that makes me enjoy the writing of Fred Reed. He has the ability to say things the way I would and the exposure that makes it possible for him to express his views.

No comments:

Post a Comment