Saturday 6 May 2006

Delayed entry

So, no post for Friday then?

Short delay that's all. When I wok up the day looked bright but nothing special. By the time I had eaten breakfast though, the sun was out and it looked set for a good day. So - off and away. Down to the old stamping ground of the Yorkshire Dales. Good drive down - Scotch Corner was there before I knew it. Then, a slow ramble down Swaledale and over into Wharfedale. Lunch was at Kilnsey where they do just about the finest smoked trout I have come across. That includes Inverawe, the Loch Fyne restaurant and some of the hidey holes on the West Coast.

One of the advantages of the Dales is the footpath system. I think we know most of the favourites and a lot of lesser-known others. Just stopping the car and having a walk with the dog is much easier down there than here. I know we have access up here but I'm never sure about it. So, when we got home well after dark, the dog was tired and we were exhausted. Well worth it. I'd not want to live there - far too busy. The scenery is great but does not have the breadth and scale of what we get here. Bit of a honey pot for incomers - dread to think what some of the places cost. When we started going there we saw many places we could have bought on an overdraft never mind mortgage. Even Kilnsey has gone up market. When we first discovered it, it was just a fish farm with sales from a little stone hut. One bought fish by weight. Now it is very commercial. Good on them.

Image hosting by Photobucket

TODAY'S GUEST BLOG
This is a lady whom I would not wish to meet on a dark night. She has the right ideas; it's just that I'd worry about what she would think of my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment