Saturday 6 May 2006

Soldier soldier

Alternate Brain is a blog title that has resonance with me. There is a posting about US Marines and problems in Iraq over food rations. Behind the actual story, I find things that - had I not won the lottery and been born English - would make me proud to be an American.

A shortage was identified. Mom dealt with it.

Citizens heard of the problem. They got involved.

Employers were drawn in. They gave support.

I cannot imagine this chain of events here. Much media indignation is about all that one might expect. If that.
Then we have the guy re-upping to soldier on with his mates. Solidarity. His plans to go to law school and then into another community-serving profession show responsibility and planning.
I am not being disloyal but I wish this was a story about British mums and a British soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment