Wednesday 15 November 2006

Back up services

Browsing about in a bookshop the other day I came across that bit where they display the inspirational books. 'Make $million selling widgets', 'Success in Marketing My way', 'The 5 minute manager' sort of thing. These sorts of books have always made me wonder just why they were written; were I making a million selling widgets I'd redouble my efforts and not sit in front of some useless Microsoft word processing software. Unless the guy is doing well selling books on marketing, one can see little to recommend him outside his speciality.
It was then I remembered something I'd seen in a mining museum in America. Seems that the people selling picks and shovels did better than the majority of those who marked out a stake. Brothel madams and saloon keepers got rich without ever swilling a pan. Even today we see the same sort of thing where England, which used to be the manufacturing king of the world, now makes such money as it does by providing services.
I was intrigued by this but then got caught up in a web site that goes into some detail on the Gold Rush. I figure that you would not be here if you did not have some time to waste so I commend that resource to you. No Charlie Chaplin but entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment