Friday 6 April 2007

Hostages

Thankfully, we got them all back in safety. Now, the debate rages over what they should, or maybe should not, have done. I can understand the objections from the traditionalists but I am not so sure how many of them would have taken their own medicine. I happen to think that their attitude comes from the time of Dulce et decorem est; an attitude which has gone in the mists of time. I see no honour in giving one's life for one's country in a dishonourable war. The whole mish mash of the Middle East is not worth one more Caucasian life. At the time the expression was first coined, those who initiated the war were in the forefront of the battles and not skulking at home with inane grins on their faces. I am aware of the captivity record of John McCain. Outstanding but known to me as it was unique so there are not many who can ever aspire to that degree of fortitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment