Saturday 18 June 2005

Catch-up time


Time marches on.
That good looking bstard to the left was me. In Ismailia, Egypt, the day before my 21st Birthday in 1954.
This not quite so good looking bloke is me in Hong Kong early in 1974. Pounds piled on. Gone from sergeant to RSM. MBE, Long Service medal, Campaign medals for Malaya and Northern Ireland. Six or so months later - bloody civvy!
I thought it politic to show this. I have many friends with, thank God, wicked sense of humour and this will limit their options. What we used to call a prophylactic statement - saved an abortion later.
Even becoming a civilian did not cut the ties that bind. Just a few months ago, I was answering questions about things that happened in 1970 and my 'When did you last see your father?' moments at the Bloody Sunday saga two years back. People say many things about the errors of soldiers and what rubbish the army seems to them. All I can add is that it does not seem to have done me any harm and, even in my worst night terrors, I do not see any accusing ghosts from those days.
The similiarity of poses is accidental - must be the influence of James Dean who stood something like this!
What about my clever daughter?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous17:26

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous01:35

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous18:52

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete