Tuesday 21 June 2005

Dogs life

Here is a good example of an ordinary policeman's interaction with police dogs. The Military Police method of using dogs differed slightly from the way the regular police dog works. For a start, they were designated as attack dogs and that is exactly what they did. Attack. Not for them the genteel grasping of an arm. They did a full-on assault and were not in any way fussy how they did this. Indeed, they didn't too much care who they attacked. Anyone running was fair game. If they felt a bit grouchy and no one was running, they'd see who they could scare into running. One way to ensure that everyone left a training grouind at the end of the session was to shout "Dog loose". Sales of Ex-lax fell alarmingly.
As someone with an interest in dogs, I used to spend time with the dog handlers. Inevitably, I got dragged into the training sessions as a quarry. Because they are indiscriminate as to what they grasp, it was necessary to wear a full padded suit. This covers, supposedly, the whole body from a built-in mask like a fencer wears down to bootees. Hot and cumbersome. I was able to withstand one dog attacks - almost - but stood no chance if two 90 pounders came at me. This was deemed to be such a laugh that I got roped into demonstrations. One night I was doing my best to struggle free when I felt a dog's nose right in my groin. Dog's noses are immediately adjacent to their teeth! This mutt had managed to worm his way under the jacket and into the trousers. What was happening was immediately clear to everyone - including the handlers. They decided to milk the display and encouraged the dogs to more frenzied attacks. I got away without anything more than an almightly scare but that was my last night in a suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment