Wednesday 22 June 2005

Sin and the law

I was often amused when reading about Cardinal Sin who died a little while ago. It was rather a schoolboy sense of humour and I used to try and fit him and his title into little stories. I have to admit that the one that appears in ‘Off Topic' here is better than any I ever achieved.
The Government has gone off on another of its poorly thought out hobby-horses regarding racial matters. I spend time reading blogs by police and legal bods and they are universal in criticitism of the speed and manner in which new legislation is drafted and introduced. This rush-to-justice almost invariably fails to take account of existing law and the new stuff clashes badly. All money for my learned friends of course.
I was talking on the phone to a store in London about something small and shiny. The sales guy had a very broad Scots accent. When time came to do the order I gave him the addess. "Duns - where is that?" he asked. I pointed out that it was funny that I, an almost-Cockney calling from Scotland, had to tell a Jock in London where a place was in Scotland. Not too dour obviously as he saw the joke.
Having struggled with setting up the satnav stuff, I took it with me when we did this morning's walk at Berwick beach and 'told' it to bring me home. We had to drop Norma off en-route and then continue into Berwick. The woman who gives directions spotted we were off course and started her diversion mode. She kept saying 'turn right', 'turn left' or 'do a U turn' I persistently disobeyed her. Any minute, I expected her to go into PMT mode and blow up 'what's the matter with you today? Can you do nothing right?' When we got to the beach the road ended and all that was in front of her was sand and the North Sea so I wondered what she would say about that. However, as we had stopped she was silent.
I have been thinking about how I might present myself as less hideous on the trip to Germany. Maybe a change of image such as this?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete