Tuesday 30 May 2006

Friends - not the TV show

Day or so back I invented the phrase Electronic Friend. This was to maintain confidentiality of someone by avoiding use of their gender. During a totally sleepless night, I thought more about the idea of such a friend.

I don't 'do' friends. My address book, even when formatted to include all possible contact methods, wife's birthday, name of third child, golf handicap and all the other corporate bilge, is no more than two A4 pages. The Christmas card list is less than 30. Most of them are the duty ones "Will write later" sort. I have never found the lack of friends to be a problem. My own company suffices. I am capable of entering into conversation with total strangers when need drives. I have a core of about six people who are more than friends. They go back to my Army service that started over 50 years ago. Most I have not seen in the last 30 years. There is a bond of loyalty with them and we are in touch on a weekly basis.

That is as it is in the real world. Flesh and blood. Touchable.

In, say, four years wandering about in the world of the Internet, I have formed Electronic Friendships with over a dozen people. We agree to call each other friend. I cannot think that I will ever meet any of these friends face to face. Hard to say but if one of them did pitch up at my door in need of something, I would do what I could to help. I offer them advice - quite often unsolicited and of a personal nature. They correct my more outrageous behaviour and I do not resent this. In short, they act exactly as I understand a real world, flesh and blood, touchable friend would. I cannot think of much that would improve our inter-action.

I cannot think what it is that makes the status of friend vary as I have described. The pleasure of internet friendship has not encouraged me to find friends in my everyday life.

Strange old world isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete