Thursday 1 June 2006

Garden becomes an allotment

Seems someone has finally recognised that Kent is no longer any sort of garden, still less the prime Garden of England.
Well - don't blame me. I moved away almost five years ago and it was buggered then. The quoted article gives a number of reasons. It was just the over-crowding that drove me out. Not only the number of humans. It was the sort of human being. Apart from immigration overload being pushed down the line, we had the horsey set.
At one time I could walk anywhere I wished all around my house. I knew the farmers and they knew me. The hop fields and orchards were safe from me. Changes in farming and the pressure of subsidies changed the nature of what was grown. Horse owners moved in. They bought up swathes of country and fenced it off in a pale imitation of Kentucky. Footpaths were reclaimed and rights of way denied to protect horseflesh. Chubby little girls rode out of their Ponderosa enclaves and onto narrow and twisty country lanes where they had to risk space with motor cars. Don't forget - chavs first bred in Kent and they also had a part in my disenchantment.

No comments:

Post a Comment