Wednesday 28 January 2009

Sombre warnings

Was it ever more pertinent to say the following? :
I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment.

I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.

I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don’t earn, they don’t spend. When they don’t spend, work dies.

I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.

I warn you that you will be homebound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.

I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.
  • I warn you not to be ordinary
  • I warn you not to be young
  • I warn you not to fall ill
  • I warn you not to get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment