Tuesday 25 April 2006

Please release me, let me go

Where will it all end I ask. Noddy's friend Big Ears keeps breaking wind through his mouth with announcements about new initiatives and measures to reduce crime or, as he would no doubt put it, "the unnecessary fear of crime". Then he has to make an admission like this

More than 1,000 foreign prisoners who should have been considered
for deportation at the end of their sentences were freed with no action
being taken, Home Secretary Charles Clarke admitted.
The offenders included three murderers and nine rapists, Home Office
figures showed. Mr Clarke apologised for the failure and conceded that
some of the public would be angered by the oversight.

I especially like the bit about "some of the public might be angered". Might - indeed. If I were related to someone killed by these escapees or had been raped by one of them, I'd be quite 'angered' by the oversight.

I'm also angered by the low percentage of positive actions they have got from the few so far traced. Doubtless, at the time, great play was made of the "recommended for deportation" sanction. More gas escaping from the bowels of our crime fighting supremo.




No comments:

Post a Comment