Saturday 29 April 2006

The right to go

I have not found myself drawn into the euthenasia debate. My own mind is very clear that I will not tolerate any situation where I lose a major part of my independence. I will not live plugged into a 13 amp electrical outlet. Some may say that at that stage I will not have the freedom of choice. My dependents know what I wish. If a assisted death is not available, there is always the DIY option. That is the reason I keep an eye on developments. Whilst I support the general idea of choice in the timing and manner of one's death, I do think that there is a danger of it being made too widely available. There will be many who, for reasons good or otherwise, wish to depart. That situation may be permanent or passing. That is why I think it is important to keep some control over the mechanisms of death by this route.

No comments:

Post a Comment