Tuesday 18 April 2006

A sort of cartoon incident

There is a article that might help to understand the hoo-ha about those cartoons, I felt that what the newspaper was trying to do was demonstrate just the sort of trouble contributers might face. This comes from the horse's mouth of a Islamic media man.

I used to work for the people who publish Arab News. I can truly confirm the points he makes as to the atmosphere.

Fawaz Turki
Saturday, April 15, 2006;
I was unceremoniously fired this month by my Saudi newspaper, a leading English-language daily called Arab News.
It didn't matter that I had been the senior columnist on the op-ed page for nine years or that my work was quoted widely in the European and American media, including this paper. What mattered was that I had committed one of the three cardinal sins an Arab journalist must avoid when working for the Arab press: I criticized the government.The other two? Bringing up Islam as an issue and criticizing, by name, political leaders in the Arab or Islamic world for their brazen excesses, dismal failures and blatant abuses

No comments:

Post a Comment