Sunday 16 April 2006

Time changes all things

Ok. Having the kids here proves it. Their visit before last - what, eighteen months ago, I led the charge up the sand dunes at Bamburgh and was King of the Castle. Out with them all day and still kept up with their antics - pressed at times but triumphant. Yesterday, there was no climbing required thank the Lord as I found myself lagging behind in just walking. Today, the bones and joints and muscles are all conspiring to tell me that my days as King of any Castle are over. Oh well! It was fun while it lasted. Thankfully, they are old enough to realise I'm old and not disinterested in what we do.

Image hosting by Photobucket

TODAY'S GUEST BLOG

This is very nice. Romantic. Heart warming. Uplifting. The date is 1 April 2005. Sadly, I see no mention of candle lighting in April 2006. No mention of any significant other. Looks as if things went to pot as they so often do in human relationships. Sad when things looked so perfect a year ago. Time has been at work here also.

April 01, 2005

Today

Today I lit a candle for you. It was the same one you lit for me exactly a year ago today.

I remember waiting in the airport, leaning against the column, thinking of our first kiss - the kiss I had yet to experience. I looked up in time to see you walking toward me, your hair slightly mussed, eyes looking a little sleepy. You stopped in front of me. You were smiling. You reached out and wrapped your arms around me, pulling me to you. I had to tilt my head back because you're so tall. Remember me telling you how much I like tall?

You looked into my eyes and then we kissed. It was a wet kiss, not unpleasantly wet, just wet. I melted. I'd waited so long, not realizing I'd been waiting.

That's the funny thing about you. I'd waited all my life to meet you and never even knew it until the moment we finally did.

So many things ended and began one year ago. The course of our lives changed, for ill or for good. Some may consider it all one big April Fools Day joke, but it isn't. It never has been.

We've danced our dances and cried our tears. We've laughed 'til our sides ached and we've exchanged angry words. We've kissed and made up. We've said hellos and goodbyes. How many times? Does it even matter? All I know is that I cherish the time spent with you, be it face-to-face, over the phone, or however we've had to make contact. I wouldn't trade this last year for anything.

Today I lit a candle for you. It was the same candle that you lit for me exactly one year ago today.



No comments:

Post a Comment