Friday 1 August 2008

Double standards

Katie Price, otherwise known as Jordan, the former glamour model turned best-selling novelist, has delivered a withering attack on the organisers of the Cartier Polo tournament. In an editorial in today's Times - yes, the Times – she talks of her anger about being refused tickets to the event because, according to a report in last week's Mail on Sunday, she was too "chavvy" and would lower the tone.
The background to this is that Price had attempted to secure a table for ten in the 5,000-capacity enclosure operated by London’s Chinawhite nightclub (cost: £6,000). At first this went through, but then, according to her agent Claire Powell, she was told that, despite being a keen equestrian, she "was not the sort of person they wanted at the Cartier."
"It's pure snobbery," writes Price. "However good a horsewoman I am, I'm also a glamour model. That embarrassed them. I've met the Prince of Wales and the Queen before. I don't need to be photographed with the A-list, I’ve met quite enough celebrities. I wanted to watch the matches and give my family a treat.
"Polo should be for people who love horses, not a media charade. [It] should be for everyone - little girls, glamour girls, working-class girls like me. No one should be excluded."
When asked by the Mail on Sunday if Price was refused a table because she was too "chavvy", a spokesman for Chinawhite had said: "We wouldn't want to comment on that."
Rewind the tape a bit. Yesterday we heard how Chools had met a burlesque dancer Dita von Teese and chatted her up. He has asked her to perform at Harry's birthday bash. I do not compare the two females (Katie does nor need my support), but do the organisers really know just what Chools finds attractive? If he likes it, then that would surely be the result for poseurs Chinawhite.



No comments:

Post a Comment